Client Application for Business Intelligence¶
Business Intelligence applications helps you understand trends and deriving insights from your data so that you can make tactical and strategic business decisions.
In Sidra Data Platform, the Client Application for Business Intelligence can be defined as a set of methodologies and processes that allow to extract, transform and load data from the Data Lake (DSU) and exploit it for its analysis and conversion into knowledge, thus giving support to decision making about the business.
The Client App for Business Intelligence (BI) allows to analyze digital data and visualize it in reports, summaries, dashboards, etc.
The Client Application with this template needs to be configured to have the required permissions to access the DSU data.
Once that is happening, the Client Application Sync job, explained here, is responsible to transparently synchronize the metadata between Sidra Core and the Client Application database. This job also triggers the Client Application pipeline defined to synchronize the actual data to the local Databricks cluster and to create the Staging tables.
The actual data flow orchestration is performed by a Client Application pipeline, via a specific instance of Azure Data Factory installed in the Client Application resource group.
High-level installation details¶
As with any other type of Client Application in Sidra, the process of installing this Client Application consists of the following main steps:
- A dotnet template is installed, which launches a build and release pipeline in Azure DevOps defined for this Client Application.
- As part of the build and release pipeline for this Client Application, the needed infrastructure is installed.
For more information on these topics you can access this Documentation.
Create a Client App from scratch
For more information, check the specific tutorial for creating a Client App .
The resource group will contain all the services used by the Client Application, separated from the Sidra Core and DSU resource groups. The services included in the ARM template for this Client Application contain the following pieces:
- Client storage account for raw data: used for storing the copy of the data that is extracted from the DSU, and for which the Client Application has access.
- Client Data Factory: used for data orchestration pipelines to bring the data from the DSU, execute the Databricks orchestrator notebook, and copying the ellaborated data to the staging tables.
- Client Database: used for keeping a synchronized copy of the Assets metadata between Sidra Core and the Client App, and for hosting the relational models and transformation queries and stored procedures.
- Client Key Vault: used for storing and accessing secrets in a secure way.
Besides the Azure infrastructure, several Webjobs are also deployed for the BI Client Application, responsible for the background tasks of data and metadata synchronization:
You can find more information about these jobs in this page.